Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Lies and the Lying Liars that tell them

I saw a story on Yahoo News that was just about the only thing that could me me go pundit on this thing. Being Yahoo, I can't actually post the video, so you'll have to go here to watch it.


It says that the parents and teens are angry. The ones on that video aren't anywhere near angry enough. If they had done that at my high school, we would have opened the biggest can of whoop-ass on our teachers and guidance counsellors. Never mind that they did it at all, but they let it go on for TWO HOURS?! That's unbelievably cruel.

It reminds me of the South Park episode "My Future Self and Me", where the kids' parents will go to any length to scare them into not doing drugs, instead of just being honest with them (a commentary on the Bush administration's attempt to link pot to 9/11... I mean seriously WTF?)

Stan basically says that if they had just told him the truth about drugs it would have a greater impact that an elaborate scheme of lies. When kids and teens feel like they've been lied to by authority figures they're more inclined to rebel. As much as I love rebellion, I prefer the kind where you wear short skirts or tell off your teacher when they're being a jerk- not the kind where you get behind the wheel after a few.

The truth will out. I'm a big fan of honesty, it's no secret. Maybe it's because, when people lie about stuff, particularly under the guise of "it's for your own good" it usually isn't.
The more you lie to scare people under the pretense that they can't make wise decisions for themselves, the harder they'll come back at you when they find out you were lying. Don't believe me? Ask the Bush administration.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yikes. Interesting story you've found here!

Actually, the school is now planning a live fire exercise to discourage kids from shooting up their schools. Police disguised as disgruntled goths will burst into the school cafeteria at lunchtime and start firing into the air...

"Timmy got shot in the arm!"

"It's just a flesh wound. That's how you get the message."

It's scary too that at least some kids felt the hoax was justified!

"You feel betrayed by your teachers and administrators, these people you trust," said 15-year-old Carolyn Magos. "But then I felt selfish for feeling that way, because, I mean, if it saves one life, it's worth it." - CNN

Great, eh? So she feels betrayed by the people she trusted, but because she trusted them they must be right, so the hoax was justified. And she feels selfish for harbouring feelings of betrayal toward her betrayers.

The only thing they've taught, if anything at all, is that the ends always justify the means. Like I said.. Yikes..